Monday, January 17, 2011

Monday, January 17, 2011

Everything went very well today.

When we got to the hospital, Caleb got a chest x-ray. Luckily, we have done that before because it is a horrible thing to watch if you aren't ready for it. They strap the babies with their arms above their heads and velcro them to a harness that looks like some kind of torture device. Needless to say, Caleb did not find it amusing.

Next, we met with the Pediatric Cardiology Fellow. He took Caleb's history since we left the hospital and asked all kinds of questions that have been asked several times before.

We then went for his sedated echocardiogram. The nurse gave him a drug through his NG tube - no pokes - and he was asleep within minutes. In case I haven't explained before, an echocardiogram is like a fancy ultrasound of the heart. There is no pain involved, but the little guys don't like to lay on their backs and be covered in ultrasound gel while someone runs a probe all over their chests. As soon as they finished and were cleaning him up, he woke up. The nurse warned us that some babies are crabby and some are fine. She compared it to the way adults get when drunk. Come to find out, Caleb is a really happy drunk and finds himself to be quite the ladies' man. He flirted and babbled with the nurses for a good ten minutes while they did his EKG. The EKG is also painless, unless you count taking off the stickers.

We met the Pediatric Cardiologist that is in charge on the floor for the next two weeks and went over the findings. Caleb's heart structure looks fine and the good side is working properly. We discussed what they will be doing tomorrow in more detail. I asked about the possibility of damaging the nerve that controls the right side of his diaphragm and he said that is is very remote. I was very happy to hear that, because if that is damaged, it would likely require him to be on a ventilator for life.

Next, we met with the anaesthesiologist to fill out paperwork and go over when to stop Caleb's medications and feedings for tomorrow. Luckily, he can eat until 3:15 am. He should not be terribly hungry tomorrow morning when he goes in.

Our last stop was to have blood drawn. Caleb screamed like a banshee, but they got him on the first poke with no problems.

We spent the rest of the day at the Ronald McDonald House hanging out. Caleb talked to everyone we met and was in a really good mood. Hopefully, in a week or two from now, he will be back in a good mood and ready to head home.

We have to be at the hospital at 6:15 tomorrow morning and Caleb is the first case scheduled for surgery. I will try to post something as soon as we get news. Thank you for all of your prayers!

1 comment: