Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Post Op - Day Four

I feel like a broken record and it is great.  Caleb had another good day.  Last night, I talked to the Nurse Practioner (they run things on the floor where we are) and asked if we could try to eliminate the Oxycodone during the day.  This morning, we worked out a plan where we would alternate Tylenol and Ibuprofen and use the Oxycodone if things got bad.  This is one of the reasons that I love Mott.  The staff listened to my concern and worked with me.

Caleb had his last dose of Oxycodone at 5:30 am.  He was fussy and slept most of the morning with the exception of when we took a ride down to the 3rd floor for a chest x-ray. He was still feeling queasy, so we took the bowl with us. Luckily, we did not need it. Another reason I love Mott is that to get to the 3rd floor, they brought a wheelchair, sat me in it, and sat Caleb in my lap. Things are not nearly as scary when Mom is your stroller!

At 12:00 pm, he got Tylenol and was in pain.  I decided I would let it ride until 12:30 and if things didn't get better, we would resort to the Oxycodone.  He threw up a little and felt better.  After that, things really took off!

At 2:00 pm, we went for a walk and played in the playroom.  While we were there, he had a dirty diaper.  This is one of the things we have been waiting for.  We walked back to his room and changed the diaper so we would not offend the other people in the playroom.  He decided he still wanted to be up so we went for a little longer walk and then went back to the playroom.

When we got back, Caleb ate three vanilla wafers and some milk.  For supper, he ate mashed potatoes, corn and a little pot roast.  After supper, he feel asleep.  Aunt Beth, Grandma Dougherty, Bret and Cody visited and Caleb was not well behaved.  He woke up partway through his nap and put on quite a show.  He looked like he was really in pain, but as soon as they left, he calmed down and decided he was going to play.

Feeling Better, but Not Quite Perky

We went for another walk and played in the playroom some more.  When we got back, we had a snack and got ready for bed.  He is still awake and it is nearly 12:15 am.  He just threw another fit (his toe was "hurting" - there is nothing going on with that foot at all) and he is now watching cartoons, totally pain free.  I am guessing that getting back into a normal routine at home might be challenging!

This evening, he started being silly and joking with me.  His personality is back and you can tell that he is feeling better.  He put his pacifier on his head and said, "Look at me, Mama".  He was talking back to the television and wanting to read his new book and play with his new cars.

Playing with His New Cars

Being Silly

His oxygen is now down to 1/8 of a liter.  This is as low as it will go.  He was on room air for a couple of hours this afternoon, but then his oxygen saturations dropped below 80%, so the nurse turned his oxygen back on.  I am thinking maybe we will be able to get rid of that tomorrow.  This will be nice because now when we go for a walk, I hold his hand with one of mine and then carry his drainage tube box and pull his oxygen tank with the other while trying not to pull any of the tubes.  I am not that talented and he walks too fast.

Today, we might have solved the nausea problem and we are 1/8 of a liter of oxygen away from eliminating another tube.  Woo Hoo!


  1. Good to hear that he had a good night after we left.....we laughed about the stuffed giraffe that I got him that made him cry......Here you go! AHHHHHHHH no!!!
    Hard to see him cry, but so glad he keeps improving.....we love you all! Aunt Beth

  2. So glad he is rocking it you will be home in no time.

  3. This little guy continually amazes me. God has certainly been taking care of him.

    Bonnie (friend of Uncle Matt,Aunt Beth, Grandpa and Grandma D.