Sunday, April 21, 2013

Post Op - Day 2

Caleb had a decent day today.  He was up for three hours in the middle of the night last night because his oxygen saturations were too low (usually by a point or two) and the alarms kept going off.  After a while, the nurse increased his oxygen to 2 liters and that solved the problem.  We watched American Pickers at 2 am and finally got back to sleep at 3:00 am.

At 6:00 am, Caleb was up for his medications.  When he was finished, we snuggled in the chair for a couple of hours.  We both enjoyed it.  That was the first time he has been out of bed since Thursday morning.  He stood on his own for a minute to get weighed and he sat up on his own a couple of times in bed today.

Caleb's Morphine and Toradol were stopped today, so we are working with Oxycodone and Tylenol.  When he starts eating for real, we can add in Ibuprofin.  For most of day, his pain was well controlled.

This afternoon, the nurses removed the dressing from his chest incision.  It had been seeping and the dressing was looking pretty bad.  They also replaced the dressings for his chest tubes.  Caleb did well enough. He was not happy and it took a while to calm him down, but it wasn't terrible.

Caleb decided to start eating today.  He had part of a chocolate doughnut and some mandarin oranges.  He wasn't interested in drinking much, but he did drink a little.  This afternoon, he decided he wanted lunch.  He wanted a hot dog.  Not what I would choose to eat on a queasy/empty stomach, but we wanted him to try eating something.

Around 5:00 pm, Caleb started getting fussy.  That was about the time Phil and the Big Three got to the hospital.  For a while, he was inconsolable.  When he is not feeling good now, he says "Momma, what you doing?" over and over.  I can only guess that this means "What the heck are we doing here and not home where we belong?"  He gagged once or twice and then threw up.  Luckily, I was nearly ready for it and it wasn't too messy.

The nurse gave him some Zofran (an antinausea drug) and after about a half an hour, we were able to get him to calm down.  He sat in my lap, hung with the kids and tried to eat my pizza.  We have not been successful convincing this kid to eat saltines or graham crackers, but at least he is willing to eat.  The nurse practioners were very happy with him wanting to eat anything.  He also began drinking more fluids.

Phil is staying at the hospital tonight and I am staying with the Big Three at a hotel so I can get caught up with them and get caught up on sleep.  He sent me a text that hCaleb has now had a dirty diaper (another good step) and they are hanging out and watching movies.  Overall, everyone is very happy with Caleb's progress and we have heard several times that he is doing very well for someone that has had the Fontan surgery.  We are very thankful for his progress so far!


  1. Thank you again for the great reports. This little guy is amazing. And so are you and Phil.

  2. Caleb is so lucky to have parents like you and Phil!!
    We always look forward to your blogs--keep up the good news.